Here at Beverly Hills Presbyterian Church, we are constantly seeking to understand God's Mission in our world and our partnership in it. We are trying to understand our worship, our fellowship, our study, and our lives in relation to this mission. Thus, we understand mission to be greater than what is described on this page.
Yet, on this page, we list the intentional and systematic ways we involve ourselves in mission endeavors. Our intention is to seek ways for the community of BHPC to serve and participate in endeavors that are local, regional, and global. In both local and world commitments, we are involved in prayer, communication, and follow-up so that we are involved both as participants and senders in our mission partnerships. We seek to find ways to encourage people to be involved both personally and communally as "World Christians."
Some of the mission endeavors and partnerships we participate in include:
- Union Rescue Mission - Throughout the year on designated days a group of 15 volunteers head down to the Mission on a Saturday morning to prepare and serve breakfast to the homeless population of Skid Row.
- Big Sunday - Each year, BHPC participates in this outreach into the greater Los Angeles community with other churches and synagogues in city.
- Habitat for Humanity - We have participated with other Presbyterian Churches in a building project in Lynwood and continue to work with the organization in other building initiatives. This is an important opportunity for members to have a "hands on" outreach experience that serves the local community.
- Holidays from the Heart - Each year, we organize a gift drive to support families at Los Angeles Children's Hospital. This program sponsors families whose children are chronically ill, and buys Christmas gifts for the sick child and each member of his or her family. We sponsor families that are identified by their social workers as families who are unable to provide for themselves and their children during the holiday season.
- Presbytery of Pacific: Partnership in Nicaragua - We have joined with other churches in our Presbytery to help further this partnership with CEPAD, in Nicaragua (CEPAD is a Spanish language acronymn for Council of Protestant Churches in Nicaragua).
- Bob and Kristi Rice - We support these PC(USA) mission co-workers in the city of Kanaga in the province of West Kasai, Congo. The Rice's are partnering with the Presbyterian Community of Congo to provide leadership in evangelism and outreach, as well as community development projects. There is a group from our congregation who provide specific prayer support and provide special care for the Rice's as they serve. www.bobandkristi.blogspot.com
- John and Suzanne Hunter - We are priviledged to support both the Hunters and Community Hope School in Katatura township, Namibia. In addition to direct financial support, John and Suzanne visit annually to speak to the congregation about the ministry, the church has sent a mission team to help with projects at Community Hope School, and individual church members sponsor children from the school and community in Katatura township. www.communityhopeschool.com
If you are interested in participating in any of these mission opportunities, please contact Simone Baroldy to be connected with the ministry leads.